Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Oscar Predictions

Since I've only had my blog for a few months, this is my "1st Annual Oscar Predictions" blog entry. I reviewed the winners from two previous awards ceremonies this year ~ The Golden Globe Awards (GG) and the Screen Actors Guild Awards (SAG) ~ and then based my picks on a simple technique: Drawing names from a hat. Just kidding. I have no idea who will win, but I thought it would be fun to pretend that people care what I think. Sort of like a Richard Roeper or Roger Ebert. Only much prettier. :-)

Actor in a Leading Role
The Nominees: Richard Jenkins (The Visitor), Frank Langella (Frost/Nixon), Sean Penn (Milk), Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), and Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler). Sean Penn won the SAG award and Mickey Rourke won the GG for best performance by an actor in a motion picture drama. Since he started off the year being the favorite but did not win either the SAG or GG award, so I'm going out on a limb here and picking Frank Langella.

The GG awards recognize actors from not only dramas but musicals and comedies as well. I will only be using the winners from the "drama" category, unless a winner for a musical or comedy is also nominated for the Oscar. Got it? Good. Let's continue...

Actor in a Supporting Role
The Nominees: Josh Brolin (Milk), Robert Downey, Jr. (Tropic Thunder), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Doubt), Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight), and Michael Shannon (Revolutionary Road). Heath Ledger won both the SAG and the GG awards. As much as I love Philip Seymour Hoffman, I think there's no beating Heath Ledger this year. So, my pick is Heath.

Actress in a Leading Role
The Nominees: Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married), Angelina Jolie (Changeling), Melissa Leo (Frozen River), Meryl Streep (Doubt), and Kate Winslet (The Reader). Okay, this is a hard one due to the fact that Kate Winslet won two GG award's: A Supporting Role award for her role in "The Reader" and the Best Actress (Drama) award for her role in "Revolutionary Road." Meryl Streep surprised everyone at the SAG awards by winning the Leading Actress award...so, who to choose? I'm going with Kate Winslet. She should have been nominated for "Revolutionary Road" but I think she'll win for "The Reader" here.

Actress in a Supporting Role
The Nominees: Amy Adams (Doubt), Penélope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona), Viola Davis (Doubt), Taraji P. Henson (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), and Marisa Tomei (The Wrestler). Kate Winslet won both the GG and SAG awards for her role in "The Reader" but is nominated in the Leading Role category for that part. So, this is such an open field I have no idea. Let's go to my hat, shall we....Okay, my pick is Taraji P. Henson, although it would be fun to see either Amy Adams or Marisa Tomei win.

Best Picture
The Nominees: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost/Nixon, Milk, The Reader, Slumdog Millionaire. "Slumdog Millionaire" won the equivalent of this category at both the SAG and GG awards. It's the favorite to win, which makes it kind of a boring pick, but I'm still going with "Slumdog Millionaire" as the winner. Plus the fact that I saw the film and it's truly an amazing piece of work.

Best Director
The Nominees: Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire), Stephen Daldry (The Reader), David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Ron Howard (Frost/Nixon), and Sam Mendes (Revolutionary Road). The SAG awards have no category for Best Director (that's why they're the Screen Actors Guild awards, after all). The Golden Globe went to Danny Boyle, as did the Directors Guild of America award. Unless there's a great upset, I can't see anyone winning but Danny Boyle.

There you have it. Now let's hear from the gallery. Who do you think will win? I'd love to see some comments on this. And don't wait until after the awards are over (Sunday, February 22, 2009 LIVE at 8ET/7CT on ABC).

No comments: