Monday, February 9, 2009

Early Valentine's Date

On Saturday, Donald and I went out on a date! Woo-hoo! Thank you "Grandma Jan" for watching Nicholas for what must have seemed like two whole days! And thanks to Sarah for helping out too!

Donald and I went to see "Slumdog Millionaire" at the new CineMagic Theatre in Burnsville, right behind Burnsville Center mall. Excellent movie and one that will make you realize how lucky we have it here in the States! It is my pick for Best Movie at this year's Oscars...but I'll discuss that in another post.

After the movie, we stopped by Jan's to drop off Nicholas' heart-shaped lollipop I'd forgotten to give him...then it was off to Perron's Sul Lago (simply known as "Sul Lago" to us locals) in Prior Lake for dinner at 5:00 p.m.

Recommended by several people, it was a wonderful dining experience! Lit by candlelight and very romantic, it's definitely a place to go if you want to get away from the noise and hub-bub of the chain restaurants. The meal was slow-paced enough so that we were able to enjoy our appetizers and salad without feeling like we had to rush to make room for our entrée. If you plan on dining there, be sure to set aside about three hours of your time.


Romantic atmosphere at Sul Lago

Our server was Mark and he was worth his weight in gold. I almost gained five pounds just listening to his description of the specials and other choices for the evening. They must practice reciting those because he was flawless! He was very good at checking on how we were doing, but wasn't a constant nag like at some restaurants you go to. When you need a fresh cup of coffee, they don't just stop by and refill your cup; they bring you a new cup filled with fresh, hot coffee and take away the old one. I pity the dishwasher there!

Mark let us take our time in choosing an entrée and he repeated the description of the Cod special for the evening because we were having a hard time deciding.

While perusing the menu, you're provided with fresh bread and an Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar dipping oil. We need to learn not to eat so much of that next time...you need to save room for desserts! Our menu choices for the evening looked like this:

Appetizer: Goat Cheese Stuffed Tomatoes

Salad: Don had the Caesar Salad and I had the amazing Baked Goat Cheese & Apple Salad

Entrées: I ordered the Scallops Gnocchi (Seared sea scallops on a bed of Gnocchi in a cream sauce) and Donald ordered the Cod special (pan-seared Cod served on a bed of Parmesan risotto which had been sauteed with bib lettuce and garlic). After we were served our meals, Donald and I switched because I liked his better. Isn't he a gentleman? I had a glass of white wine with my entrée - a Riesling is what I think we settled on, as they have a very extensive wine list

Desserts were another difficult choice, so in the end, we got two and shared. Donald ordered the Pumpkin Bread Pudding and I got my favorite Crème Brûlée. The best Crème Brûlée I've ever had - so I didn't do a lot of sharing! I had trouble eating it all but I made room. It was just too good to leave behind.

We will definitely be going back to Sul Lago again to celebrate a special occasion!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Melissa,
Sul Lago is definately one of the best restaurants. I really miss it. Next time, try the Wild Mushroom Gnocchi, if they have it. Out of this world. Dd they serve you the shot of Limon? Jeff and I have both been questionable to drive after a full evening there!
By the way, we still get Minnesota Monthly just for Paul Douglas' column. Take care.

Melissa said...

Thanks for stopping by, Kristin! We miss you here in Minnesota. We missed out on the shot of Limon...I'll have to make sure we get that next time. And I guess I'm not the only one who loves Paul Douglas, huh? :-)